We offer connective tissue grafts at Midtown Dental Services to help patients with receding gums. Dr. Mark Jacobson, our experienced dentist, can perform this oral care service to aid in the health and appearance of your smile. To learn more about connective tissue grafts in New York City, New York, call us today at 212-697-3946.
What Is A Connective Tissue Graft?
A connective tissue graft is a common dental procedure aimed at addressing gum recession and improving oral health. Gum recession occurs when the gum tissue around the teeth recedes, exposing the tooth’s root surface. This can result from various factors such as periodontal disease, aggressive brushing or genetics. Connective tissue grafting is an effective method to restore the gumline and protect tooth roots.
When Is a Connective Tissue Graft Recommended?
Connective tissue grafts are recommended for individuals with gum recession, as untreated recession can lead to tooth sensitivity, root decay and even tooth loss. Our dentist may suggest this procedure to correct situations such as:
- Gum Recession: When the gumline has significantly receded, exposing the tooth roots.
- Cosmetic Concerns: If patients are unhappy with the appearance of their smile due to uneven or receded gums.
- Sensitivity: When patients experience tooth sensitivity as a result of exposed roots.
- Periodontal Disease Treatment: Connective tissue grafts can be part of the treatment plan for advanced gum disease to regenerate lost gum tissue.
The Connective Tissue Graft Procedure
The connective tissue graft procedure typically involves the following steps:
- Consultation: Our dentist will assess the extent of gum recession and discuss the procedure with the patient, including potential risks and benefits.
- Anesthesia: Local anesthesia is administered to numb the treatment area, ensuring patient comfort during the procedure.
- Donor Tissue Harvesting: A small piece of connective tissue is usually taken from the patient’s palate or a tissue bank.
- Graft Placement: The harvested tissue is then carefully stitched onto the exposed root surface in the area of recession.
- Healing: Over time, the graft tissue integrates with the existing gum tissue, providing a natural and healthy gumline.
Make An Appointment
Connective tissue grafting is a well-established procedure to improve both oral health and aesthetics. We invite you to call us today to schedule a consultation with our dentist and learn if this treatment is right for you.